What I appreciated about Kristin Waterfield Duisberg’s novel, After, is that the family she created is as real as your family or my own. Nina Baldwin faces cancer and its aftermath while she juggles her relationships with her husband, Martin and their intelligent, autistic daughter, Audrey. When I first started reading I was dismayed to find out it was (yet) another book about breast cancer, but I soon realized that this was not a book about cancer. It is instead a book about relationships, the secrets we keep, the hopes and worries we have for our children, and the difference between marital promises, and truly loving a person. Nina’s choices, Martin’s surprising background, and Audrey’s navigation of her tweens make these flawed characters feel just right. The Baldwins are your next door neighbors; the family that you whisper about in the dusk of your homes; the people you believe you will never be, yet you know that you are just one misstep from their lives being yours. For these reasons, After has been added to my list of favorite books.
Read more at:
Did you see that?To my family and friends: As part of my MFA in writing at #UNH, I am taking a travel writing class in London in January. My classmates and I will be posting photos and related non-fiction essays daily during the first full week in January. Please follow us on Instagram at unhtravelwriters. #unhlondon2019.
- The Forester’s Soup was published at copperfieldreview.com/?p=4054 today. Thanks Copperfield Review! 6 days ago
- Thank you, Copperfield Review, for today's release of my short story, "The Forester's Soup" at… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Stunning #UNH #sunrise. Is that, which is beautiful on the east coast, frightening in the west? #perception https://t.co/nkmdENUYjs 1 week ago
- Thank you @gravelmag, for including my story "Light the Way Home" in your October 2018 issue (… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- Humble gratitude to scarletleafreview.com/aug-2018 for publishing my prose poetry in its August 2018 online edition. You c… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago